Instant Messengers have been the in thing these days. We have quite a good number of effective applications in the arena. If you are looking for a trendy and feature-rich messaging app, your search should end with Kik Messenger. We will do an in-depth review on one of the best messenger available on multiple platforms.
What is Kik Messenger?
Kik Messenger is one of the modern and trendy messaging application that offers you a multi-platform compatibility. The app does work almost the same way as other popular instant messengers like Facebook Messenger, or WhatsApp.
The well-known messaging service has been much popular among the teenagers and kids. The app is easy to use and quite simple to sign up. In fact, the ability to work across different platforms is the USP of the service. Kiks had its humble beginnings back in 2009 when it was launched by two Canadian developers. Within a short span, it reached the great heights and had over 100000 users. In the overly crowded genre of instant messengers, where it has to compete with a plethora of apps like WhatsASpp and iMesage – Kik has been able to add on over 120 million strong user base. However, to stay in the reckoning, it has been into improving and adding a few new features.
Setting up Kik Messenger
The configuration is quite easy. The simple sign up process makes it a good option for you. However, there is a difference when compared to the ones like WhatsApp.
Yes, Kik will require you to sign up for the service using your email ID. You need to use a username to identify yourself. In fact, your username is what you friends will recognise you from. It does not sync with your phone contacts. Maybe that is something that may look a little out of place, especially given the fact that we have been accustomed to working with contact numbers for accessing instant messaging service.
If you know the username, you can add the contacts manually. Alternatively, you can sync your address book with the Kik Messenger so that it will scan it and find the people who are using its services and offer you the suggestions.
What makes Kik Messenger a good choice?
The Kik Messenger is a favorite instant messenger app with teens and kids. The interface is quite intuitive and easy to understand. It has found a widespread usage as an alternative to social media messages and emails.
In line with the trend that other messaging apps, Kik is also not limited to just texting – it allows you send videos, images, and GIFs among other options. You can send unlimited messages to anyone who has an account on Kik. It uses your mobile data, or WiFi connectivity to work through your messaging.
The Features that make it a good option
Well, Kik Messenger comes with several features that make it stand out prominently from among the competing apps in the instant messenger’s genre. Some of them may be summed up as
- Access to huge formats of content– Kik Messenger supports a good deal of media formats and other content. You can send videos, text, GIFs and what not. It also lets you send website links as well.
- Real time notifications – Kik Messenger provides you receive the real-time status of your messages. You will be promptly notified when your message is sent and delivered to the recipient. You can customise the notification alert preferences, and even change the alert tone so that you can get to know instantly about a new message on Kik Messenger.
- Group Chats – The service – just like most of the competitors – allows you to send messages to groups. In fact, you can also create your own group and add your contacts that have common interests to the group you created. Add as many members as you would want to and chat right away.
- Invite friends – You can send invites to your friends to join Kik Messenger. In fact, if you have linked your contacts database with Kik Messenger, it will automatically send invites to your friends who are not on Kik yet. The messages are sent through the mail, SMS or other channels. If your friends joins in, you will be notified and alerted to connect with each other.
- Promoted Chats – There is an option to on Kik Messenger that lets you have access to Promoted Chats. You can check out the interesting chats and even participate in them.
- Built in Browser – Kik Messenger is possibly the only instant messenger that has an in-app browser. You can directly go to the links sent by your friends from within messenger app.
How to use Kik Messenger?
Well, it is quite easy to use Kik Messenger. The easy to use interface and an intuitive performance is something that should attract you to the popular instant messenger.
To begin with, download the application. Visit the official link for the download links. The tool is available for Android, iOS, WindowsPhone and BlackBerry alike. Once it is installed, Kik will let you create an account, or if you already have an account – sign in to your account.
Creating an account is quite an easy task. Just provide a few basic information and you are done. The mandatory information to be filled in includes your name, Date of birth, email ID, username and a password. The rest of the details are optional. These include your phone number and a profile number which you can add if you want.
Recent Controversies involving Kik Messenger
There have been a few controversies that have been associated with Kik Messenger in recent times. Social security groups have been suggesting the parents be careful about some of the ill effects Kik Messenger may have on your kids.
What makes it a concern is the fact that you can have chats with total strangers on it. It comes with a couple of flirt apps as part of its list of internal apps. Not that these apps are illegal or something your kids are not expected to use. What makes them a risky encounter is the fact that Kik is anonymous. The person, your kid, is having a talk with can be anyone. This is exactly what can help cyber criminals to have a free hand.
Teenagers and kids can be a soft target for these cyber criminals. In fact, this anonymity is what has made Kik a popular platform. However, it makes it risky at the same time. There have been frequent reports coming in these days about predators using the platform to lure the kids. The teenagers and kids are said to be targetted and later raped. There have also been reports that some people have been using the Kik Messenger to extract child abuse material.
However, Kik Messenger has stated that
“Online safety is Kik’s number one priority as a company. We are reviewing all aspects of safety in an effort to further improve the experience for our users.”
What would we suggest the parents among our readers? Well, there is nothing you need to be overly worried. At the same time, take care to keep your kids safer. Educate your kids about the issues that an anonymous app has on their privacy and security. In fact, cyber analysts suggest that it would be wiser to use Facebook Messenger in place of Kik Messenger.
If you have confidence in your kid that he/she will take care of the cyber criminals, you may feel okay with the application. However, it would be a good idea to have an open and frequent communications with you kids about their online activities.
How to use Kik Messenger on your PC?
Well, Kik Messenger has been a popular instant messenger app. Maybe you would love to use it on your laptop or PC for a better experience. Sadly enough, being a mobile based tool, it has no application for a PC.
However, as we are aware – you can run Android apps and games on a Windows PC using specialised software tools called Emulators. Bluestacks Emulator is one of the most popular Android emulator available for your Windows operating system powered desktop.
You can follow the below-mentioned steps to install Kik Messenger on your desktop.
- Visit Bluestacks at the official downlaod link.
- You can install the application by double clicking on the exe file you just downloaded.
- Launch Bluestacks App Player on your desktop.
- Visit the Google Play Store on your Bluestacks app. You can search for Bluestacks and you will be redirected to Google Play Store.
- lick on the Install button to install Kik Messenger.
- The application will be installed and will be available on the homescreen of your Bluestacks App Player.
The Concluding Thoughts
Kik Messenger is one of the favorite instant messenger apps for the teenagers. It would be interesting to note that the majority of Kik user base falls in the age group of 16 to 25 years. The multi-platform functionality of the service makes it one of the best instant messenger tools you can opt for. Finding friends can be an issue though as we explained it in the main article.
If you have not used it, it may not be a good option. There are not many features that set it apart from the competition. We do not think there will be any reasons you can quit your existing instant messenger service. Are you using Kik Messenger on your phone? Do share your views and opinions with us.